Dodge Ram 4x4 Cummins. FAQ sivulla 1.

Overdrive.fi on harrasteautoiluun keskittyvä verkkosivusto, joka tarjoaa sisältöä harrastajien ja rakentajien tarpeisiin. Epäasiallinen ja loukkaava sisältö, joka rikkoo sivuston käyttöehtoja, poistetaan. Näin eivät myöskään poliittinen keskustelu ja aiheet sinne kuulu. Harrastus on yhteinen poliittisesta kannasta riippumatta. Overdriven yleiset käyttöehdot löytyvät täältä, ja on hyvä muistaa, että jokainen keskustelija on rikos- ja vahingonkorvausoikeudellisessa vastuussa omien viestiensä sisällöstä.

Ketju osiossa 'Merkki- ja mallikeskustelu', aloittaja Mussemaan, 18.10.2004.

1. rötkö

rötkö Gearhead

2. Erska

Erska Gearhead

Hehee. Nyt on tulossa "aika varmaan" Jenkkilästä mulle ihka oma pässi. :)

1998 vm musta 2500hd 4x4,quad cab&long bed 5.9 24v cummins joka on 1500mailia sitten täydelleen uudelleenrakennettu(selvitän parhaillaan että miksi,177tuhattamailia ajettu)

Vehkeessä on 5 Stage Edge Comp Box ,4tuuman putkisto ja suuttimet, moottorirempan lisäksi on uusittu vesipumppu,syöttöpumppu,jakajapumppu ja männät on .40 ylikoossa.

Siinä on myös uudelleenrakennettu(mitäköhän mahtaa tarkoittaa? :rotfl: )
    nvh4500 manuaalilaatikko josta 5vaihteen ratas varmistettu ja vahvempi heavyduty kytkin.

Autoa on myös korotettu 4½" Skyjackereilla. Renkaat ja vanteet on myös vaihdettu hieman isompiin, autossa on myös lavakate,kaukoohjattava vinssi jälkiasennuskarjapuskurissa 4 lisävalon kera ym.

Tämän kaikenlisäksi vehkeessä on Sähkösäätöiset nahkapenkit,vakionopeudensäädin,ilmastointi,sähköikkunat ym ym ym!
    8)

Mitäs muuten Power locks meinaa? Ovien lukkoja vai tasauspyörästön lukkoja? Tosta kun ei ole varmuutta.

Benzboyn Tapsan ajattelin saada laittamaan auton konttiin, toivottavasti kertoo myös rehellisen arvion auton kunnosta. :)

Toivottavasti kaupat onnistuu, olisin tod tyytyväinen.

ps:kaikista remonteista/modauksista,niitä joita en edes luetellut on kuitit.

Eihän muuten cummituksessa ole mitään pinnoitetta sylinteriputkissa, meinaan vaan että jos on porattu niin silloinhan se väljistyy alkuperäistä huomattavasti herkemmin.

Kiitos.

3. freeride

freeride Gearhead

toivottasti sulla tulee kaupat Erska!!power locksit tarkottaa ovien lukkoja.ja tapsaan voit luottaa.hmm..tuliskohan mun loota sun auton lavalla? :lol: koska olis tulosaa jos tulee,onko mitn tietoa?ootko kysyny myös onko tossa viä kdp onkelma ja onko 53 lohko?

4. Erska

Erska Gearhead

Olin juuri poistamassa viestiä, Tapsa oli pirssauttanut kaverille ja todentotta, kaveri vaikutti jo puhelimessa epäilyttävältä.

Yhdessäkään recalssissa,HUOLLOISSA tms ei ole autoa käytetty, EIKÄ ole minkäänlaista mailihistoriaa vehkeellä,kaikenlisäksi hänen kaverinsa vaikka huutavat hinnan yli sovitun, siihen mihin hän haluaa jos auto on lähdössä halvemmalla, se on siis 15000taalaa mihin hän myy. Nyt 11000taalaa hintana.

Kuulemma vaihdelaatikko ja kone hajonnut samalla kertaa kun kannentiiviste meni,hah ja hah.

Autohan on ebayssa, ostakaa hyvä vehje. TÄSTÄ näin

No, siinä olikin niin rumat vanteet ja maski ettei olisi kannattanutkaan :rotfl: .

Ei vaan, ei hätä tän näköinen ole, sovittiin Tapsan kanssa että hän etsii minulle täysin vakiopelin jossa ei ole huoltohistorian kannalta epäselvyyksiä, jätin myös roiman listan vaatimuksiltaan mitkä auton täytyy täyttää. Tuleepahan nyt oikeanlainen.

edit: tosta 53lohkosta ei tapsa tuntunut aluksi edes tietävän,muutenkaan siitä ei hirveesti myyntipuolella tiedosteta?

-Erska :-?

5. freeride

freeride Gearhead

joo tosta 53 lohkosta ei monet tiedä..lähinnä ne jotka tekee muutakin kun vain ajaa autoillaan. tossa tapsalle tietoa..linkki ei toimi näköjään mutta googlen välimuistista löytyy vielä.. www.stamey.nu/Truck/Cummins53BlockFAQ.htm
    ja niinkun tuola tekstissäkin mainitaan niin ei huolta jos et kisko jäähallia perässäsi vuoristossa.. This crack begins when towing in most cases. I have seen modded trucks that did not leak until they were stressed from towing heavy loads in the mountains. These same trucks would put in several runs at the drag strip on a regular basis and never had a problem, even towing, until they towed in the mountains.

What is the "53" block?

The "53" comes from a casting number on the side of the block and is used to identify the problem blocks. Supposedly it affects about 100,000 blocks, but not only in Dodge Rams. Here is information regarding the castings from a thread on TDR:

Copied from: http://www.turbodieselregister.com/foru ... cked+block

1. Brazilian Blocks are cast by a company named "TUPY" and are marked such. They are identified with cast evolution numbers. #53's are TUPY's. #54 and later evolutions were improved to correct the block issues that the 53's had.
    2. Mexican Blocks were made by "Teksid" these blocks to my knowledge never had a problem with cracking, as they are heavier duty by trait, but they did follow the evolutions and got thicker. These blocks do not have the 2 digit "cast number" embossed on the side, instead a series of numbers that are unidentifiable to me. The Mexican blocks were rumored to even be harder to machine do to a harder cast overall, basically better quality in my opinion.

Brazilian Tupys always seem to outnumber Mexican blocks during the ISB's production probably about 8 to 1. So basically if there is a pattern number its Brazilian, if there is a series of small numbers its Mexican.

By the way the Mexican equivalent of a 56 pattern was the Heaviest ISB block of all. This means if you have a 2002 without a #56 on it and instead it has a series of numbers that are smaller and hard to identify, you got the the big boy!!!

Why the Worry?

Simply, the worry is that the block will crack. These blocks have thinner water jacket walls than other blocks so with coolant cavitation, corrosion, coolant pressure in the block, and torque, they may crack, spilling your coolant. I know from experience that it will not blow up the engine, but you will see that temp gauge rise more often than you'd like.
    Who Should Worry?

Those owners of a Cummins 24v ISB engine in a 1998-2001 model year vehicle. This does not only affect Dodge Rams. The 53 block was also used in medium duty trucks from different manufacturers, mobile homes, public school buses and mass transportation buses.

Update: Recent information I have received from a 1998 12v owner says that some late 12v engines have "53" blocks. This owner knows because he HAS one. His truck has a build date of 11-97. He did say, however, that he has had no problems with his block, regularly pulling heavy trailers in the Rocky Mountains.
    How Do I Find out?

If you want to see if your engine block could be one of these dreaded "53" blocks, crawl under the front, left side, and look up at the block on the front, directly under the injector pump (by the PS pump). You should see a large wiring harness mounted to the block. Directly below this, just above where the oil pan meets the block you will look for a "53" cast in the block. The numbers will be about 1 inch tall. See picture below:
    Note: I have heard of some cases where the "53" is elsewhere on the block, but I have not been able to verify any other locations or see them. I now have proof of another location where a "53" can be found. See New Info below.
    hat Happens?

A crack develops on the right side of the engine, below the freeze plugs, right where the block bends back towards the inside of the block. It is a difficult area to see for auto transmission owners as it is directly behind the transmission heat exchanger. At first everything evaporates so there is no spot under the truck, but you may notice a coolant odor. The leak doesn't occur at idle in most cases because the crack is tight to get through, and doesn't leak until the RPMs of the engine are up, with the water pump causing higher pressure inside the engine block due to the restriction of the thermostat.

The crack will grow over time and you will go through coolant faster. I found that I lost coolant at a slower rate if I let the engine warm up for a while, so the thermostat opened and lessened the pressure inside the engine block.
    When Might It Happen?

This crack begins when towing in most cases. I have seen modded trucks that did not leak until they were stressed from towing heavy loads in the mountains. These same trucks would put in several runs at the drag strip on a regular basis and never had a problem, even towing, until they towed in the mountains. This is how my crack happened. I towed my tractor on the basically flat land around my home (minimal rolling hills) and I had not experienced a problem until after I had towed my tractor in the Blue Ridge mountains of Virginia (for those of you who don't know, these ain't very big mountains when compared to the Rockies). The load was about 8,500 lbs + the 6,900 of the truck.
    What Do I Do If I Have A Cracked Block?

This depends on a lot of things. In the first scenario, you have a stone-stock truck with less than 100K, and is less than 5 years old. In this case, just take it to the Dodge dealer and let them put a new short or long block in (they will decide which they put in), free of charge. If you don't have any other problems with the internals of your engine you might ask them if they will just replace the block with the latest design ISB block, the "Storm" design. Reasons for this will become clearer later in this article.

If you have no engine mods, but have added gauges or upgraded the transmission in a manner that is evident to the naked eye, you will likely get some flack from Dodge about your "mods", even though they don't really affect the engine's running or what caused the crack. This happened to me, in that I have Fuel Pressure, EGT, and Boost gauges, as well as an upgraded transmission with a double-deep pan on it, and an Emjay transmission shift controller.

If you have a modded engine, depending on your mods, and how difficult they are to remove with no evidence left, you may have a fight on your hands. Remove everything you can, and be prepared to challenge everything they gripe about on it. The gauges do NOT have anything to do with the engine block cracking, and they know it. The dealer may try to tell you they have never seen a block crack. It's a bold faced LIE! Unless the dealer just opened it's doors or they don't have Dodge trucks in that area, someone there knows all about it, and the Dodge regional rep who must inspect the engine to approve warranty service on the block, due to its cost, knows all about it.

This frustrated me, as my dealer told me they never heard of such a thing happening to these engine blocks. While I never actually got a chance to speak to the regional rep, the dealer told me the rep said he had never seen an engine block crack. Another lie. The rep only wanted to pick my truck apart, and said the crack was cause by "over torque". More BS.

I will relate my experience and what I have heard, to get warranty service when Dodge tries to wiggle out from under it. I heard someone else say that they called Cummins to yell about it, and Cummins got Dodge to take care of it. This is actually what I ended up doing also. In my case, I took my truck to the Cummins dealer in my area, Mid-Atlantic Cummins, and a service writer there helped my with the warranty matters. My plan was to have my "aftermarket" warranty I purchased with the truck pay for the repair since Dodge rejected it. It turns out their "fine print" says they won't pay for any block problems that aren't "caused by an internally lubricated part". That's when I called Cummins about my problem and they got in touch with someone higher up at Dodge to take care of my warranty issue. Cummins number is 800-DIESELS.

Other information I learned from Cummins (but you don't know this if you have to call). The Cummins engine is actually purchased from Cummins by Dodge with no warranty, and Dodge honors all warranty on the engine.
    New Information

I have now confirmed 2 rumors as fact. The first being that "53" blocks were in trucks with a year model as late as 2001, and the second, that a "53" can appear on the right side of the block also, or instead. The following pictures were sent to me by the owner of a 2001 Ram with a "53" block in it. There are pictures of the right and left sides of the engine. You can click on the picture below for a larger version of any of them. Note, the pictures are very big. Your browser may try to automatically resize them for you. If it does, there is usually a button that will appear when your cursor is over the picture that you can click to show actual size.

6. Mäxä

Mäxä 3rd gear

Sama vielä Suomeksi... :oops:

-Finska Vodka Turist-

7. "53"-lohko on paskaa brassituotantoa ja tuppaa halkeamaan, jos kiskot traileria appalakeilla tai kalliovuorilla tai kiihdyttelet suht viritetyllä yms. Mehikaanilohkot ovat parempia. "53" lohkon tunnistaa tuumankorkuisista 53 -valusta ruiskupumpun alapuolelta lohkossa. Ko. valu voi olla oikeallakin joissain lohkoissa. Halkeama tulee siihen kohtaan lohkossa, jossa autolaatikkojen lämmönvaihdin on. Seurauksena on pikuhiljaa alkava ja suurentuva jähdytysnesteen vuoto halkeamasta..

Moista on kuulemme 99-2001 mallisissa, mutta joku oli bongannut 11-97 ikäisestäkin moisen alihankintalohkon. Suhteeksi paskat barssit vs. hyvät mehikaanilohkot jako on kuulemma noin 9 brassia vs. loput mehikaaneja.

Ole hyvä abstraktista..

:odroll:

8. freeride

freeride Gearhead

joo eipä tosta paljon varmaan tarvi murehtia.täälä ei saa vetää edes senkokoisia kärryjä mitä jenkit kiskoo ja meikäläiset "vuoristot" ei juuri päätä huimaa..lähinnä kannattaa tsekata toi sillon kun on hommaamassa autoa ja kysyä onko ollut kovissa kärrynvetohommissa ja tarkistuttaa ennen ostopäätöstä onko halkeamia.

9. kuutio440

kuutio440 1st gear

10. impala1968

impala1968 Gearhead

2500 dodge on kuorma-auto eikä autoveroa mene yhtään

11. seppä

seppä 1st gear

Onkos jollain tietoa/hajua saako turbon paineanturin suoraan koneeseen kiinni vai pitääkö ryöstää T-haaralla matkalta?
    Jos saa koneeseen niin minkä kokoinen reikä on?

Koitan virittää itselle digitaalista lämpö- ja paineanturisysteemiä..

Niin ja kuorma-autosta ei mene tosiaan autoveroa.
    Tulli on 10-22% kokonaissummasta jossa on rahti mukana. Sitten tuosta summasta vielä alv. 22%.
    Eli auton hinta suomeen tuotuna x 1.342-1.4884 niin saa käsityksen kokonaiskustannuksista.

12. kuutio440

kuutio440 1st gear

niinpä tietysti :)
    No sitten jos ajatellaan et esim. toi kyseinen Dotske on vm 2001? näissä sama kuin muissa jenkeissä..oliko se uudempi kuin 96?! -> ei mahdollista rekisteriin ilman hirmu tappelua ja vuoden odotusta? ( tästä on jo tietysti keskustelua käyty heh )

PS. On sika hiano toi Dodge.

13. freeride

freeride Gearhead

imusarjaan paineanturi kiinni.reikä on 1/8"npt http://www.dieselpage.com/gibdl.htm

14.6.95- tota uudemmat on raja jonka jälkeen alkaa poikkeusluparumba.

14. Stimbe

Stimbe 1st gear

15. Erska

Erska Gearhead

Heetkinen, kerrataampas, eikö jos 96-98vm ramin osta, niin täydy vaihtaa vain ajovalot e hyväksyttyihin? Eihän silloin mitään poikkeuslupia tarvitse? Tietääkseni vasta 99vuonna täytyy hakea ekat luvat turvavöille? :-?

Niin, ja kerrataampas vielä sitäkin, eli 99 ja uudemmissa aina 02 on vasta toden-näköisemmin #53 lohko? eli jos hommaan 98 vuonna valmistetun niin niissä voi olla vielä vanha 12v lohko? :eek:

16. freeride

freeride Gearhead

Those owners of a Cummins 24v ISB engine in a 1998-2001 model year vehicle. This does not only affect Dodge Rams. The 53 block was also used in medium duty trucks from different manufacturers, mobile homes, public school buses and mass transportation buses.

Update: Recent information I have received from a 1998 12v owner says that some late 12v engines have "53" blocks. This owner knows because he HAS one. His truck has a build date of 11-97. He did say, however, that he has had no problems with his block, regularly pulling heavy trailers in the Rocky Mountains.

joo ei sitten mitään ongelmia jos e-valot korkeudensäädöllä ruuvaat kiinni.päästöistä(EPA)vyöt,lasit yms.en tiä mitn.

17. Tomaso

Tomaso 3rd gear

Hmmmm.... Kerros Erska tietolähteesi.

Dodge alkaa valmistamaan entistäkin järeämpää "Chassis Cab" alustaa, jossa siis omat vaatimuksensa mm. runkorakenteelle. Hytti on Rameista tuttu ja koneeksi tulee 6,7 litranen Cummins. Euroopan Cummins mainosti jo vuosi sitten 6,7l ISBe moottorin täyttävän Euro 4 päästövaatimukset. Jutun yhteydessä mainittiin tehon nousevan 300 hv:n kieppeille.
    Käsittääkseni jenkeissä on siirretty tiukempien päästövaatimusten käyttöönottoa, koska dieselmoottorien valmistajat eivät ole kyenneet uusia määräyksiä täyttyviä koneita valmistamaan. Nämä uudet rajat tulevat vissiin vuonna 2007 voimaan (piti tulla jo 2006).

Päästövaatimukset tullee vaikuttamaan myös Ramin 5,9 litraseen, mutta ainakaan minä en ole löytänyt vielä mitään varmenpia uutisia. Ja mm. Dodgen sivuilla Ram 2500 ja Ram 3500 myydään edelleen 5,9:llä.

Tulevaisuudessa Cummins saattaa poistua Ramin keulilta. DaimlerChrysler omistaa dieselmoottoritehdas Detroit Diesel Corporationin, joka on luonut paineita Cumminsin suuntaan mm. ilmoittamalla "aina parempia uutisia" mm. saavutuksistaan päästöjen vähentämisessä. Kuinka pitkän sopimuksen Cummins ja Dodge sitten tekivät vuonna 2003?

18. freeride

freeride Gearhead

http://www.turbodieselregister.com/06ntea/ tuola on kans lätinää ja kuvaa..

Conclusion

Since Dodge rarely tools-up components for a single model truck, we feel it is likely that there will be further model introductions. The frame for this truck is all new as is the six-speed Aisin automatic transmission. Since we were told that this transmission would not be used in the regular 2500/3500 series trucks, nor will the frame, speculation is that there will be larger 4500/5500 model trucks released in the future. Since the 6.7 liter engine is compliant with the new 2007 emissions regulations it is almost a "given" that this engine will trickle down to the regular 2500/3500 series trucks as a 2007.5 engine introduction likely with higher outputs at that time so as to trump the competition.

19. bikerjerk

bikerjerk 1st gear

pomppii...

Hoi veljet.Ny on takaiskarit tiensäpäässä,eli mistähän kandeis ostella.
    US-Parts on tos vieressä,mut olisko muita vaihtoehtoja.Gabriel(ko)ainoo vaihtoehto????
    kaarahan on 2500/-95vm.
    Aikomus asennella tos tulevana vkl.samalla"mehut"+filsut ja releohjaus tolle v...n :wc: valokatkasijalle.

20. freeride

freeride Gearhead

Re: pomppii...

mites Ranchot?5000 sarja tai 9000 sarjan säädettävät?ainakin Racersplace myi joskus Ranchoa.
    http://www.racersplace.fi/home.php
    http://www.gorancho.com/

Kerro tästä muillekin!