Onko täällä muita Oldsmobile 88 Rocket omistajia?

Overdrive.fi on harrasteautoiluun keskittyvä verkkosivusto, joka tarjoaa sisältöä harrastajien ja rakentajien tarpeisiin. Epäasiallinen ja loukkaava sisältö, joka rikkoo sivuston käyttöehtoja, poistetaan. Näin eivät myöskään poliittinen keskustelu ja aiheet sinne kuulu. Harrastus on yhteinen poliittisesta kannasta riippumatta. Overdriven yleiset käyttöehdot löytyvät täältä, ja on hyvä muistaa, että jokainen keskustelija on rikos- ja vahingonkorvausoikeudellisessa vastuussa omien viestiensä sisällöstä.

Ketju osiossa 'Merkki- ja mallikeskustelu', aloittaja Olds88rocket, 25.7.2003.

1. Olds88rocket

Olds88rocket 1st gear

Haluaisin tietää kuinka monta Oldsmobiiliä suomessa on vuosimallia 50-59. Itselläni on vuosimallia 1953 eli täyttää tänä vuonna 50 vuotta. Väriltänsä se on vihertävä.

2. Vilkuna

Vilkuna Gearhead

Vähän asian vierestä: On muuten todella tyylikäs biisi tuo maailman ensimmäiseksi Rock 'n' Roll levytykseksi kutsuttu Jackie Brenstonin ja Ike Turnerin kahta vuotta aiemmin esitellylle Oldsille tekemä ylistys;

Jackie Brenston and his Delta Cats "Kings of Rhythm" (Chess 1458, 1951)

ROCKET 88
    (Turner - Brenston)

You may have heard of jalopies
    You heard the noise they make
    Let me introduce you to my rocket 88
    Yes, it's great, just won't wait
    Everybody likes my rocket 88
    Gals will ride in style, moving all along

V-8 motor and this modern design
    My convertible top and the gals don't mind
    Sportin' with me,
    Ridin' all around town for joy

Step in my rocket and a-don't be late
    We're pullin' out about a half past eight
    Goin' on the corner and a-havin' some fun
    Takin' my rocket on a long hot run
    Ooh, goin' out, oozin' and cruisin' along

Now that you've ridden in my rocket 88
    I'll be around every night about eight
    You know it's great, don't be late
    Everybody likes my rocket 88
    Gals will ride in style, moving all along

"Twenty-eight-year-old Sam Phillips had not yet begun his Sun Records Company; another year would pass before the first Sun record would be made. But he had been operating a recording studio, making and leasing recordings, for almost a year. It was to that studio, at 706 Union Avenue, that Ike Turner and his band went; and it was there, on March 3, that "Rocket '88"' was made.

It was Jackie Brenston's song, but he had derived it from a song in the band's repertoire - "Cadillac Boogie," which Jimmy Liggins had cut for Specialty in 1947. Instead of the Cadillac, Brenston used the new Oldsmobile Rocket Hydra-Matic "88" as his symbol of the do-rag godhead. Far from hiding this unoriginality, Brenston openly admitted it. Many years later, he told Jim O'Neil of Living Blues magazine that "if you listen to the two songs, you'll find out they're both basically the same. The words are just changed."

While the song itself may or may not have been original, its performance surely was. The overcharged amplification of Willie Kizart's electric guitar, the careening glissandi and manic triplets issuing from Ike Turner's piano (it is not improbable that six years later, when he came upon Jerry Lee Lewis, Sam Phillips, whose Christian capitalist eyes had seen in Elvis a white boy who sang like a black, saw in Jerry Lee a white boy who played piano like the odd, intense colored fellow, Ike Turner, whom he had witnessed this cold March day), Raymond Hill's post-melodic saxophone shriekings, Willie Sims's trash-can drumming, and the raw, heartfelt degeneracy of Jackie Brenston's singing, shouting, and yelping - the whole of these parts was a sound so loudly and luridly shocking, so preposterous in its celebration of booze, broads, and repossessed cars, that it was difficult to perceive where its brilliance ended and its lunacy began.

The band made four more recordings that day, with Ike Turner singing on two of them while Brenston stood back on second tenor sax. Sam Phillips wasted no time. He sold the recordings to Chess Records in Chicago, and Chess released two singles by the group in mid-April. The coupled sides that featured Turner's voice bore on their labels the credit Ike Turner and His Kings of Rhythm. This was how it should have been, and Ike was pleased. The other single, however, was credited to Jackie Brenston and his Delta Cats. This, in the eyes of Ike Turner, known no more then than now for his magnanimity and humility, was not how it should have been, and he was displeased. His displeasure grew more pronounced as it became apparent that the single that bore Brenston's name, rather than the one that bore his own, was going to be a hit.

"Rocket '88" entered the R&B charts at the end of April. It rose to Number 1, and in the end emerged as one of the bestselling R&B records of 1951. The success of "Rocket '88" had farreaching effects. It heralded a new and wilder wave of rock 'n' roll. It stirred Sam Phillips's determination to found Sun, as he realized that the large profits from the recording he had produced could have been his rather than the Chess brothers'. And it caused Ike Turner and Jackie Brenston to part company after one more session (at which only one recording was made, "My Real Gone Rocket," the follow-up to "Rocket '88"), in the summer of 1951. As time went on, Turner stepped forward from piano to guitar, allowing there to be no mistaking who the leader of his band was.

"My Real Gone Rocket" was released by Chess at the end of June. For whatever reasons - perhaps it was too much like its antecedent -it failed to sell. Brenston's next single, "Independent Woman," the remaining recording from the first session, was put out in July. (The flip side of this record, "Juiced," was also credited to Jackie Brenston and His Delta Cats; but there are reasons to believe that it was actually by Billie Love, another R&B singer whose work Phillips leased to Chess.) Though it was quite different from the failed follow-up to "Rocket '88," the slower, more lyrically subtle "Independent Woman" faded into oblivion with like celerity."

<font size=-1>[ Tätä viestiä muokkasi: Vilkuna 2003-07-25 15:50 ]</font>

3. Vilkuna

Vilkuna Gearhead

Olds88rocket: Autosi on päässyt näköjään T. Mansikka-Aho & Rock Sectionin levynkanteenkin.

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Se NNO-57 on sairaan makee

5. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

1957 Ninety-Eight

[​IMG]

6. Vilkuna

Vilkuna Gearhead

Kenenköhän tää on? Hieno kyllä.

[​IMG]

7. Olds88rocket

Olds88rocket 1st gear

Kyllä löytyy levyn kannesta, oli hääbändinämme viime kesänä ja ne kysyi saadaanko käyttää meidän autoa seuraavassa levyssä. Tuttu yhtye sukulaisiakin löytyy bändistä.

[​IMG]

<font size=-1>[ Tätä viestiä muokkasi: Olds88rocket 2003-07-28 08:07 ]</font>

8. herrakani

herrakani 1st gear

Yhdellä Kovasella täällä virkkalassa on '59 olds, hydrauleilla ja systeemeillä. Ja taitanee olla tulossa pinnavanteet ja kiiltävä maali siihen. Ja mulle kaupattiin joskus hopeanväristä '60 tolppa 2d:tä. En ostanut jostain syystä. Harmittaa. Jäiköhän hinta tonnin tai kaks ohi lompakon sisuskalujen.

Kerro tästä muillekin!